Assignment 2: RA 2—Balancing Goal Attainment and Ethics
Today probably more than ever before, all departments of an organization, as well as any associated internal processes, are required to contribute to organizational goals designed to give them a competitive advantage. However, this intense focus must be balanced with ethical decisions that might impact employees and other stakeholders. Industrial/organizational (I/O) psychology professionals will inevitably be faced with ethical dilemmas.
Ethical implications associated with human resources management (HRM) practices and policies
- On the basis of research on workplace ethical issues:
- List three human resources management (HRM) policies or practices that have ethical implications and require greater consideration. One example is employee monitoring (e.g., whether employees are wasting time surfing the Internet on company time).
- Describe the ethical dilemma from both perspectives for each policy or practice. Also, respond to the following:
- Why would an organization create such a policy or practice?
- Why might this policy or practice be harmful to employees?
Ethical implications associated with the four functions of management
- In M4 Assignment 2, you identified tasks or activities associated with each of the four functions of management.
- For each of the four functions, identify one task or activity that might have ethical considerations.
- For each, describe the ethical dilemma from both the perspectives:
- What is this task or activity trying to achieve for the organization?
- What are the ethical concerns associated with the task or activity?
For example, in the management function of control, setting performance standards is a task. High quotes are good for productivity but might require excessive effort for workers to achieve.
- Examine each ethical dilemma from the perspectives of two different levels of management—senior-level management and first-line management.
Your final product should be an 8- to 10-page Microsoft Word document using a minimum of five sources from professional literature. Professional literature may include the Argosy University online library resources; relevant textbooks; peer-reviewed journal articles; and websites created by professional organizations, agencies, or institutions (.edu, .org, or .gov).
Be sure you write in a clear, concise, and organized manner; demonstrate ethical scholarship in accurate representation and attribution of sources; and display accurate spelling, grammar, and punctuation. Use APA format.
- By the due date assigned, save the Microsoft Word document as M5_A2_ Lastname_Firstname.doc and submit it to the Submissions Area.
Originally posted 2018-12-02 11:39:12.